Monday, December 5, 2011

Advent Peace

I know, it is Monday...the day after the second Sunday of Advent.  It was one of those weekends....lots of activity and celebration; I celebrated a birthday. Last night when finally laying head to pillow, my heart was filled with thanksgiving for my life - my family and friends and the blessings of knowing Him.  When I awoke yesterday morning I told the Lord that when I laid down at night at the close of the day, I wanted to be overwhelmed by His goodness and my eyes would see how much He had blessed me in my life.  Suffice it to say, overwhelmed was an understatement!  HE IS SO INCREDIBLY GOOD and when we ask Him to show us how good, He loves doing just that!  I had a great birthday and weekend - surrounded by the love of family and friends. I am most grateful :)


Yesterday we lit the second candle of Advent.  Looking back through my notes, each candle holds a meaning and they vary depending on who is writing the information.  As we are meditating on His birth and anticipate His coming, I don't think it matters much the order in which we process the historical data.  At our own church service, the candle signified PEACE, followed by the prophetic words:


"And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
Isaiah 9:6b

A prince...a member of a royal family, nobility; another definition says "an officer who administers the affairs of a province".  I like that....he administers peace into my affairs.  What peace it brings to my heart to know He is in charge of giving me peace when I am in need of it.  He will bring everlasting peace to our world one day.

When we need peace it is usually because we have a lack of it.  Anxiety, fear, apprehension, worry...all crowd our judgment and influences how we think and act.  There have been many times in my life when I have needed an overabundance of peace....and sometimes several times a day I can be found calling out to God for it.  One of my favorite photographers has a photo that to me, shouts out peace in the midst of turmoil....



This lighthouse, La Jument, sits on the northern coast of France.  In 1989 a storm raged for days and the lightkeeper was trapped inside.  On about the 7th day, he heard a helicopter and thinking he was about to be rescued, he opened the door to come out.




The helicopter held the photographer, Jean Guichard, who was photographing the storm and the lightkeeper realizing his mistake, was able to retreat and close the door before the wave swept over the lighthouse once again.  Yes, he was eventually rescued.

"The name of the Lord is a strong tower.  The righteous run to it and are safe." 
Proverbs 18:10

The most famous baby ever born....the Son whose government will be on His shoulders...the Prince of Peace whose birth we celebrate this holiday season and...await His second coming, He comes to give PEACE now and forever.  I hope today and this week, when you need peace, you will find it in His presence and in His promise.

0 comments:

Post a Comment