Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Tidbits from Tuesday

Sometimes you come across a recipe, a book, or a tidbit from life you just have to share.  Today is one of those "sometimes".  Here are a few of tidbits crossing my path...

Each Wednesday our ministry team comes together to share, pray and just be together.  I love these people, some of them I have had the privilege of being in ministry with for nearly 40 years.  (oooh, that dates us!)  We come together over the Word, national events, shared interests, a time of prayer and always, a table full of goodies.  We meet at half-past nine in the morning, so the trays of delectables usually are morning fare.  But these are team mates from Slavic backgrounds and if you have ever eaten in a Slavic home (think Russian, Polish, Czech...etc....)you know how delicious that can be!  Somehow, with several of us ladies contributing, we always seem to have the perfect match of savoury and sweet.  These "breakfast cookies" are from Shauna Niequist and they are healthy and the perfect excuse to eat a cookie for breakfast.  Healthy oats, almond meal, unsweetened coconut, coconut oil, mini-chocolate chips (okay, that is a reach to give it that chocolate-chip-cookie-look; but they are semi-sweet!) .





These are my contribution this week :)



I waited until winter to try a soup I have wanted to make forever....Zuppa Toscana  It was amazing and extremely difficult not to have a second whole bowlful.


And lastly, as most people find themselves in January, we are trying to eat healthier (by the way, I used a non-dairy milk substitute in the above soup instead of the heavy cream and it tasted just as good :)   So, this salad was in the latest issue of Food Network magazine and it had all the ingredients I love Ina Garten's Quinoa Tabbouleh with Feta


Photo: Courtesy Food Network Magazine
January/February 2015 page 34

Someday, I just want to visit Ina at her home on Long Island and have her cook for me like she does for her husband - that would be a holiday! And probably will not happen :)

I came across a Scripture the other day where it was talking about "eating and drinking in the presence of the Lord."  The context was beautiful, talked about celebrating.  For the life of me, I cannot find the Scripture now that I want to write it down.  I am sure I already did, but alas, cannot find it :(  However, in sharing these tidbits today, it goes beyond just recipes.  Our hands taking simple ingredients, being inspired by a photo or a description and creating something good and sharing that with those we love.  We've been talking about "community" so much in our church these days and a piece of community is eating, drinking and spending time around the table with those we care about.  In the presence of the Lord. 

Grab a favorite recipe...or even new one...or one of the above and spend some time creating and then sharing.  Life is meant to be shared.  (If you need some great reading material about this, try this (I have recommended it before when it first came out and it is still one of my favorite reads!)




0 comments:

Post a Comment