Monday, January 16, 2017

My Spiritual Hearing Aid

Two weeks into the new year....wow!  I am not sure exactly "when" 2016 ended and 2017 began.  I began the Christmas holidays with good cheer and ended it with bronchitis.  The flu virus hit me head on and knocked me off my feet (literally).  So, the last 3 weeks have gone by in a bit of a blur.   But as my head cleared, so did my thinking.  Welcome New Year!  Let's hope the next eleven months are better than the first!!

Lately I’ve been pondering listening and hearing.  With my congestion and bronchitis, it is a bit more difficult to hear.  I have had to ask those around me to talk louder at me or yell, if need be :)  I can listen, but I have to be able to hear.  

For the last few years, it has been suggested by those close to me that I probably should have my hearing checked and even go so far as to get a hearing aid, it is something to consider.  But lately my thoughts have turned to the spiritual side of this.  Hearing God’s voice is one of the most important things in my life.  Many years ago when I first realized that God actually speaks to us and I can hear Him, it revolutionized my life.  I thrive on hearing God.  I need to hear Him.  It is breath of life to me.  As I have grown deeper in relationship with God over the years and learned to hear Him, I listen more.  I test what I hear to be sure it is Him.  Just like recognizing the voice of your child or your husband, I have come to more easily know when it is God speaking.  I recognize His voice.  Sometimes, when there is a lot of noise or our emotions are so deeply affected by something life has thrown at us, it can be difficult to hear….or recognize.  But as the years have gone by, I am more spiritually sensitive and confident when it is Him.

As is often the case, my physical condition has caused me to look spiritually.  I feel like I need to “turn up my hearing aid” so I can hear.  Turn up my spiritual hearing aid.  I want to hear God, but there is either too much other noise or the sound is muted.  I am asking God to turn up my spiritual hearing aid.  It may be “easier” to hear Him as I get older and know Him deeper, but it seems like I need to turn the volume up so I can clearly hear it is Him.  Circumstances dictate that I readjust so I can hear.

I also need to “lean in” to hear.  The volume may be up, but I need to lean in….stop and listen.  Because if I don’t, it just magnifies whatever noise is out there.  I want His voice to be magnified, not the noise around me. Clean out whatever wax or dust is keeping my ear from doing what it was created to do.  Hear.  Listen.    Fine tune my hearing aid, Lord.   

It’s expensive to have hearing aids.  They cost something.  It costs something to be able to hear clearly.  It will cost me something to be able to hear God clearly these days.  Time.  Obedience.   My heart.  My attention.  


I want to HEAR.  I want to HEAR clearly.  Turn up the volume, Lord.  Clean out the dust.  Speak, Lord, for your servant is leaning in to listen.  My hope and prayer for all of us that as we march headlong into 2017 or approach it with caution....we will lean in to listen and hear what the King of the universe is saying to His people.  And we will obey.  


0 comments:

Post a Comment