Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Apple of His Eye

These days I seem to be taking God more seriously at His Word.  When I read the Bible, I want the words & wisdom to be implanted in my heart, yes, so that I do not sin or do wrong against Him or anyone else, but also to feed me and give me life. Our church and small groups throughout the Body, are reading "The Divine Mentor" and I, for one, am being refreshed daily by the insight of this author. But mostly I am being fed as I read and meditate on the pages of my ancient book, which still brings life!


One nugget I came upon recently which just sticks in my heart and mind...Proverbs 7:2 "Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye."  I cannot read my Bible (any book really) without highlighters, pens, my journal and even a dictionary close by.  I bless God each day (& my husband) for my laptop, which now sits close by so I can grab it and log onto an online Bible resource/dictionary.  This phrase..."apple of your eye" grabbed my attention and I thought "where did it come from and what does it mean in this Scripture?"  Some of us are familiar with Psalm 17:8 where David says "Lord, keep me as the apple of your eye." But to guard His teachings in this way....


Here it comes...the original Hebrew idiom means "the tiny reflection you see in the pupil of another's eyes" and the Latin version says "the tiny image of oneself you see when looking into another person's eye."  When God looks into our eyes, He wants to see His reflection.  Hmm...when I look up to God and seek His face, I want to see His face...not mine.  But it brings some joy and excitement to see my reflection in His eyes - I am a part of Him!  Along with that...I want the WORD and His ways, wisdom and commandments to be such a PART of me that it is reflected in my life.  When I look into another's eyes, I want to see what is IMPORTANT AND VALUABLE TO ME....HIS WORD.  And the only way that becomes a part of me is to be fed daily by His Word and in His presence.


(A few other Scriptures that use this phrase...fyi...Deuteronomy 32:10; Lamentations 2:18 and Zechariah 2:8).


Remember the other old idiom..."she/he has her father's eyes"?  Oooh, yes, I (we) want our Father's eyes!!


"Lord, make Your Words the most cherished gift I own - bind them on my fingers and write them on the tablet of my heart.....and reflect them in my eyes...keep them as the apple of my eye."

0 comments:

Post a Comment