Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens....

Why do I feel like Julie Andrews when the sun comes out....and I want to run through a green meadow in the mountains and break out into singing "the hills are alive".   For most of us here in the Pacific NW, when that yellow orb appears in the sky...we want to drop everything and spend those valuable moments outside.  Today is one of those days and as soon as I finish writing and do a bit of demanding housework, I am going to enjoy that sunshine....please still be there!!


There is nothing like a beautiful sunny day in Oregon!  It makes me appreciate life and all those treasures He places in mine.  That song "A Few of My Favorite Things" keeps running through my mind and I have to share.  (the other "nugget" I planned on indulging in today from the Word is a bit heavier in content, so perhaps on my next cloudy day....)


Yes, I do love...cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels...doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles; snowflakes, silver white winters that melt into spring.....picture yourself dancing around on a down-filled bed, pillows flying and Julie singing in the background....now, that I have your attention...these are a few of my favorite things...in the springtime....


** brilliant blue sky with fluffy white clouds
** the smell of daffodils in early spring
** fresh springtime vegetables & fruits to try in new recipes
** cooking and baking 
** pasta, actually anything Italian
** cherry blossoms
** tulips (which I don't plant because the deer will eat them)
** those lovely tulip-eating deer that come into our yard :)
** the birds that feast on our birdhouse outside my bedroom window
** green grass
** the sound of that grass being mowed...means outdoor weather is near!
** cup of hot coffee in the early peaceful morning sitting on the deck with my  Bible waiting for God to speak
** girl time with friends over lunch
** the colors that come out in the spring/summer fashions - pastels or vibrant mixes that chase away the grey of winter (I bought some new coffee mugs the other day just so I could have some new color in my kitchen :)
** opening the windows to let in the fresh air 
** lambs frolicking with their moms....just down the road from our house
** new springtime babies....chicks, kittens, puppies, and the human kind :)


And....






Love rainbows....they took on a whole new meaning for me once I've seen Mt. Ararat....



My lilacs are almost ready to bloom and I absolutely LOVE their smell! That is springtime for me!!

And one of my favorite bushes in our yard...


The color of this rhododendron is a beautiful purple and I adore it!

And of course....besides the man of my life whom I also adore....my all-time favorites ....


This photo is a couple of years old - taken @ Crater Lake but they are so much fun in my life!  And I don't get to spend nearly enough time with all four of them at one time in one place anymore.  They just grew up too quickly!

Springtime, when the sun is out, always invokes musings of what is truly beautiful in our lives.  Springtime to me is color, new life, new smells, new beginnings, and some of our favorite things.  Today, wherever you are, if that sun is shining, take a walk and breathe in the beauty around you (even if it is that tall building and sidewalk...someone creative designed and built it :) - people watch (another of my favorite things).  And if by chance (reality) the sun is not shining where you are...it will, I promise!  God, our Father, gave us senses.....today let that sense of smell and sight overwhelm us as we enjoy His gift of life and remember a few of your favorite springtime things!

(sorry if I repeated myself in this post from past posts...the sunshine does that to me!  :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment