Tuesday, February 7, 2012

One Big Family - Psalm 16:3

The third verse of Psalm 16 has so much meaning it may take a couple of blogs to convey it's depth.  And even then I am sure we won't get it all.  God's word is amazing!


"I say of the holy people who are in the land, 
they are the noble ones in whom is all my delight."

Take a glimpse at a few other translations:

And these God-chosen lives all around - what splendid friends they make!  (The Message) - I LOVE this one!
The holy people in the land are the ones who are worthy of honor - all my pleasure is in them. (Complete Jewish Bible)
Those who lead holy lives on earth are the noble ones who fill me with joy! (God’s Word Translation)
How excellent are the Lord’s faithful people! My greatest pleasure is to be with them!  (Good News Translation)
As for the godly people in the world, they are the wonderful  ones I enjoy. (New Century Version)
The godly people in the land are my true heroes! I take pleasure in them!  (New Living Translation)
As for the holy ones in the land, they are the NOBLE, in whom is all my delight.  (New Revised Standard)


What richness in describing the people of God...that is YOU and ME!!  One word which stands out above all the rest is NOBLE - of high birth, rank or title...a child of a KING, stately, imposing, choice, excellent.  The word "noble" is a 
synonym of the word grand and moral...virtuous, righteous, ethical, honorable, upright, just and honest.  We may not feel like we actually live up to these meanings, but oh, how our Father delights in US and by His Spirit is working daily to form us into a people of nobility.


Another word used in this verse is "saints"...



This adjective in Hebrew is described as sacred, holy, set apart...meaning clean, set apart free from defilement, crimes, unclean and profane things.


Ex. 19:6...you will be for me a kingdom of priests, a holy nation.  GOD meant for us to look different.


1 Pt. 2:9, But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light.

We belong in a "family" that is to stand out in this world.  We are to look and be different...even noble and saintly.  NO...we are NOT perfect!!  We make mistakes (and a lot of them at times!).  We fall, but by His grace and strength, we get back up. At times, we have no answers to give in tragic circumstances, but we have a HOPE today and for the days ahead.  
  
Do we look different or are we trying so hard to be "relevant" and fit in that we no longer stand out? Yes, we want to be relevant....but we mostly to be authentic and honest.   Are others drawn to us because they sense something different...a hope, a friend they can count on to just be there?  As a good friend of mine points out..."Are we agents of change to transform our society?"  Are our lives living out the kingdom of God here on earth?  

We are the noble ones in whom is all His delight.  The Hebrew noun for this also means....in whom is all my purpose.  Wow!  Let's jump back a verse...I have no good thing apart from the Lord...but then it goes on to say “As for the godly in the land...I love them...they bring me delight....You meant them for good in my life...I am not to “be apart from them” (paraphrased!).

This "people of God" -

He delights in us!

We are His purpose!

We bring Him delight!

This "people of God" - these noble ones -

They are meant for good in my life :)

I am not to be apart from them :)


You, dear friend, belong to a people bigger than yourself.  They are there for you...to be encouraged, to be strengthened, to be supported, and to be loved.  Next blog we will wrap this verse up like a gift with a ribbon and tag that says "we need each other!"  But for today, remember...

And these God-chosen lives all around - what splendid friends they make!  (The Message)


0 comments:

Post a Comment