Friday, February 11, 2011

Read, Watch and Listen

It has been a bit of a whirlwind this week as we prepared to send my husband off on a ministry trip to Kamchatka in far eastern Russia.  He will be gone for three weeks, so getting his business in order while he's away, making sure he had all he needs, and taking care of the needs on the home front...lots had to be done!  We prayerfully sent him off last night and are excited at what will transpire during this trip.


Oftentimes, for me at least, having even one family member gone changes the dynamics at home dramatically.  Not needing to cook such large meals, a bit more flexible schedule, not as much laundry.....you get the picture.  I have been reflecting a bit on what these three weeks hold for me.  The title of the movie "Eat, Pray, Love" came to my mind.  Well, eat is out (not completely) I want to lose some pounds before we head off to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary next month; pray is definitely "in", as is "love"...on my family that is here.  But I did settle on what my weeks ahead could look like.


With church & ministry responsibilities and other things that occupy my time, I plan to add a few things that I relax me:


Whenever Jim is gone, I do those things that are more "me" than him....watching old classic movies, chick-flicks, and a few modern "classics" which I love (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Lord of the Rings - I get some good mom/son time with these :)  I also read, read, read.  One of my favorite comfort times is to get a hot cup of tea, a blanket and just read all night.  Bingo!  I know what I am going to do!!  And some incredible books have fallen into my lap just recently:


"The Power of Praying for Your Adult Children" by Stormie Omartian (incredible and so valuable at this time of my life!)


"The Art of Being You" by Bob and Joel Kilpatrick (given to us by a very good friend and can't wait to pick it up...written by a musician/minister and it is full of treasures my heart is yearning for).


"Out of the Far Corners" by our very close friend Peter Iliyn - this is one book you need to get...and I just happen to have the website:


www.outofthefarcorners.com

We have known Peter (and his father) for years from YWAM and this is his father's story of coming out of Russia.  Similar to my father-in-law's story, though not orphaned, the settings are much the same.  I cannot wait to begin this journey of reading this treasure!  Peter's book was just released this week and is available on the link above.  Again, you will want to curl up with a hot cup of chai (tea), a few cookies on hand (Russians have to have their sweets!), light a fire or a candle, (maybe a little balalaika music in the background) and bury yourself in this adventure.  


And I plan to spend as much time waiting and listening to God's voice to me.  Refreshment, new vision....hearing His heart for my life, my family and those around me whom I come in contact with daily.


Therefore, my weeks ahead (which I will most undoubtedly share with you) will be "Read, Watch & Listen".  As much as I am able, I will share what I hear :)


And so in closing...what they say in Italy (from the movie "Eat, Pray, Love")  "La dolcezza di non fare niente"....the sweetness of doing nothing....Take some time for yourselves this week and enjoy the sweetness of just being!















1 comments:

Hey Deb, Love your musings. Thanks for promoting Peter's book. We get home on Friday and should be able to get you one as soon as we are back. It was quite an emotional experience to hold the book in our hands for the first time 2 days ago. Hope you have a marvelous several weeks while Jim is off and enjoy the change of pace a little as well. Love you my dear friend.
Luba

Post a Comment