Thursday, September 29, 2011

Anatomy of My Soul

Oh, my....we just began our Bible study we do every fall at our church.  We are studying the book of Psalms, particularly the Psalms of Ascent....a Beth Moore study called Stepping Up.  I think I am going to be stepping up into heaven as I absolutely LOVE the Psalms.  So often as I am reading, they are my heart's cry....David, Asaph and others seem to speak out of their hearts and they mirror my own.  So, bear with me, I will probably put a thought or two out there as I spend time @ the feet of my Master and the pen of a favorite...David.  (Of course, Beth, also is one of my all-time favorite teachers of the Word...my life has been changed by what God has taught me through her :)


I have to share one thing....from John Calvin in his writings "An Anatomy of all the Parts of the Soul"...his wording for titling the book of Psalms.  Is that just truth at it's best....what could better describe the Psalms as "all the emotions of our soul"?   He says "for there is not an emotion of which any one can be conscious that is not here represented as in a mirror (I love that!)...Or rather the Holy Spirit has here drawn to the life all the griefs, sorrows, fears, doubts, hopes, cares, perplexities, (oh, yes!), in short, all the distracting emotions with which the minds of men are wont to be agitated."  The Psalms mirror my soul.....my emotions, day by day, week by week, moment by moment of my little life!


The last question Beth Moore asks us to write about is "what five tones or words would you choose to describe the psalmist's as he approached God?"  Here is just a bit of what I found...


Forgotten   Psalm 10:1
Afraid        Psalm 16:1
Troubled    Psalm 40:12
Repentant  Psalm 51:1-2
Thankful    Psalm 103:1-5


My soul, like David's, is full of emotions - my inmost being, my soul's anatomy is full, complex and yet can be described and summed up in this book.  


Today, the verse that bursts from my soul is that of Psalm 103:1 "Praise the Lord, all my inmost being (the anatomy of my soul), 


PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME!

The big GOD in heaven who created me with an anatomy of every part of my living being....understands what is in my soul.

Is there a Psalm today that expresses the anatomy of your soul?  Find it, sing it, cry it out if you are distressed.....HE is listening and HE cares.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment