Friday, January 13, 2012

A Taste of Julia

Waking up to 24 degrees Fahrenheit and beautiful cold crisp sunshine, it looked like a day I might be able to spend a bit of time outside.  However, the grey clouds are now quietly creeping in and the forecast for the weekend into next week is snow.  I always get in the mood for winter comfort food when the weather turns wintery.


After a trip to the market, I decided today was a Julia Child "Boeuf Bourguignon" sort of day.  I had the house to myself and indulged in slicing, sauteing, mixing and tasting.  I adore the smell (and taste) of meats cooked in red wine.  There is a richness about it that makes my taste buds smile :)


Popping the casserole into the oven to cook for the next three hours, I enjoyed the peace and quiet...and promptly fell asleep in front of the fireplace.  Now, awake, the smell is oh, my....heavenly.  I used a recipe I tried a few years ago (I'm sorry, Julia!) and it takes much less time than the honored, well-deserved French version.  Let's just say, I wanted to match the meal to the area :)



There is an incredible beef bourguignon on page 48 of this book and other great recipes throughout.  I think Julia will forgive me this once :) But for those who would like to try the real thing...



Either way, it is a great dish to make on a cold and wintery day.  I'm looking forward to this masterpiece sitting atop or along side buttered noodles, a bit of steamed broccoli and crusty bread to mop up the sauce.  

We women love to cook (or some of us anyway!) - for those of us who do, enjoy  being creative and have a really blessed weekend!

  AND...Bon Appetit!


1 comments:

Oh, this looks good. We have so much wintry weather it's hard to decide which wintery dish to serve each day.

Post a Comment