Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Stayer

As I venture into Psalm 16:2 today and looking at my notes, I really just want to give several translations and nuggets of the same words...


"I say to the Lord, "You are my Lord, apart from you I have no good thing."

"Without you, nothing makes sense."

"I have no good beside you (present or future) without you."

My Lord,...my goodness (righteousness) there is none beside you."

"I have no other help but yours."

"You are my Lord, my goodness is nothing apart from you."

"O my soul, thou has said unto the Lord, thou art my Lord."

"...my goodness extendeth not to Thee" (literally, I have no goodness but Thee)

These words are a song to Adonai, our Master. Matthew Henry's commentary states that Adonai signifies "My Stayer...the strength of my heart.  My soul cries this out....do NOT unsay it!"   I love that..."soul, listen to me, do not unsay that which strengthens me....My Adonai, my master, my strength."   How many of us throughout the day experience the flips and flops of our heart and emotions when life throws the unexpected at us.....maybe we need to say..."soul, let's wake up...My Stayer and the strength of my heart is alive and well within me!"
Sometimes my little ole' heart needs some strength throughout the day :)

I love this quote...

Let nothing disturb thee; Let nothing dismay thee; All things pass; God never changes.Patience attains all that it strives for. He who has God finds he lacks nothing: God alone suffices.” -Teresa of Avila


Looking at different translations can give new meaning and insight into a verse which we never noticed before.  Without HIM, nothing makes sense. This is my favorite - with so many voices out there screaming for our attention....telling us what is "important" and what we need in our lives; just watching the evening news gives this phrase such credibility....without HIM, nothing makes sense!  I find rest and assurance in the knowledge that when things don't make sense, I have SOMEONE who does!


Apart from HIM, I have no good thing.  I think this little verse is packed with life for us today.


He is My Stayer, the strength of my heart.



Okay....this clipart might be a little hokey, but for us romantics, I love the idea of My Hero riding in on a white horse to give me strength :)

1 comments:

Your clipart, dear Heart2Heart, is not hokey in the least. See Rev. 19:11-13. Pretty accurate (minus the many crowns, though the one may represent many) depiction!

Post a Comment