Saturday, October 29, 2011

Winding Down

October is winding down.  Out came the warmer socks, on came the furnace and down came the leaves!  Looking out the window the other afternoon as leaf after leaf came fluttering to the ground, it was so calming.  A hot cup of tea and a blanket over my cold toes, I wondered where the time went this month.  October, where did you go?  


Three weeks have come and gone and my husband returns on Monday from weeks of ministry in Latvia, Finland and Russia.  I am looking forward to sitting down in front of a nice warm fire, hot cuppa in hand, and hearing the stories.  Of course, I will be wide awake and ready to hear....he, on the other hand, will be suffering jet-lag and wanting to sleep :)  I may give him a bit of time to recover before I begin my onslaught of questions :)  


When he left the beginning of October, we were still in the throes of sunny, warm weather.  Very unusual for this time of year. We even had one 70 degree day!  During these weeks, I put away the evidence of summer - fire pit, planters, cushions, hammock and covered up the deck furniture.  It is always sad for me to do this as I love summer and it seems I am saying good-bye to a friend I was not ready to let go of yet. Summer for us this year only began in August, so I was glad September and October brought the warm days to enjoy a bit longer. 


However, in the last ten days or so, it has turned chilly and my toes will now be cold until April :)  But I really do love these autumn months.  I am glad that when my husband returns, he will still be able to enjoy the beauty of the leaves, vibrant oranges, reds and yellows.  The rain and wind we usually are slammed with in October has held off and there is still beauty to be seen.  


October has been good to me....healthy family (colds finally over!), college students doing well, high school student counting days til Christmas break :) and snow in the mountains so he can snowboard :)....oldest son getting a new job which will be challenging, but release his creativity, and God being a Father to us when our earthly "daddy" was away.  Studying the Word with my dear friends at church has fed my thirsty soul.  And quiet days of just me at home has been refreshing.


Having a break from cooking planned meals (we eat simply when Dad is away) has been nice as well, but I am ready to dig in again as these months bring on the soups and breads which we love in these colder months.  


So as October is about to bid farewell, I am feeling refreshed, restored and ready for what is ahead.  I hope that whatever October brought to your door, you will be able to reflect on God's goodness in the midst of it. I hope your harvest was plentiful. I pray even "if the fig tree did not blossom and you found no fruit on the vine, yet YOU WILL REJOICE IN THE LORD." (Hab. 3:17-18)  


As the chilly nights turn colder and our thoughts turn towards the holidays, my prayer is we will all find our hope and peace in the One who walks through the days by our side.  I pray you will be surrounded by family and those you love.  And I pray in all things you will find Him working it together for good to those who love Him and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28).  











0 comments:

Post a Comment