Thursday, June 7, 2012

From Market to Metro

Today is the day we set some goals for this 15-day writing challenge.

1)  Decide on a space you will set your tush down every day and write (my wording :)
2)  Set a time you will meet with yourself every day and put pen to paper (or fingers to laptop :)   Why do I like smiles behind my sentences?
3)  Choose a goal of words per day you will write...300-1,000 is a reasonable start.

In my favor is the abundant resource of photos and stories from our recent trip so it allows me to not stress so much over finding something to write about.  Though I have a plethora of thoughts to share with women growing in God, I have opted to focus some of the blog postings on summing up our trip and the 1,000 photos I took.  Therefore, 136 words down of the 500 I have set for my goal...

Our second stroll through the markets and metros of Ukraine...

Artists, artist-wanna-be's and reproductions are everywhere.  I managed to get this photo before being asked not to photograph the art :(


I would have liked to bring these wind chimes home, but figuring out how to get them in my suitcase and home in one piece untangled took way too much thought and energy :)


Anyone need a hat for winter?


Definitely a fashion statement...


Okay...had to take this one for my son - who would think House
would show up in the Ukraine?


Not sure why the stars & stripes underwear were in with the shoes...


Color, color, everywhere...


Of course, if you run out of shelf space...


For the strategist in all of us...


This was great - matroshkas and cameras all in one spot...I resisted, but how I would have loved those cameras :)


And you can still find him if you look...


Culture, color and clothing... 



I am assuming these weren't for fighting hay fever.


Before we head to the metro, one last stop in the food market...

Oh my, she is still there selling sala; I was running out of money, so it was all I could do to resist a purchase...


Pastry heaven...


And I HAD to photograph this display!  For those of you like us who traveled to the former Soviet Union and Eastern European nations during communism and shortly after, like the early 90's when we lived there...this abundance was unheard of!!  I am still in culture shock when I see this...
I revert into the "survival mode" of the early days and want to buy it all up in case it won't be there tomorrow :)   Good thing my friends held me back!


Had to sneak a photo in of our dear friend, Natasha, buying fixings
for our green borscht for dinner ... 



This kiosk sold Georgian pastries filled with mushrooms, meat, cheese and other delicious things.  We visited here once, actually twice...maybe it was three times.  If I lived here, this would be my choice of "fast food".


And now our trip down metro lane...

First stop, need a car, an apartment, a job...


Craig's List hasn't quite reached here yet...


Heading into the metro...you can shop as you go...



Strawberries, cheese and a whole chicken!  One-stop-shopping as you run for your train!  Seriously, I love it!



I really do like buying from the women selling near the metro as they can be very friendly when you show an interest in them and, as well, they are really trying to provide an income for their families to survive.  The variety is often due to selling whatever they have from their gardens or home, to make a living.  Each woman undoubtedly has a story...



One of my absolute favorite things to do in Ukraine, Russia or any of the other sister Slavic nations is to stroll the markets - outdoor and indoor - not so much to shop as to look and learn. (Besides my husband won't let me take it all home on the plane if I did buy it).  I love that it is different than where I come from.  I love the variety now available.  I love the seasonal fruit and vegetables.  I love seeing something I have no idea what it is...and finding out! I love people watching.  The markets and metro are a world all their own and I find them fascinating!  I love...wait, I think I have reached my 500 word goal for the day.  If not in words, at least in photos!  But all this to say, I really do love the Ukraine! (And yes, I use the word "the" before Ukraine...a habit from the old days when that is the way they said it :)

1 comments:

Thank you for the cultural & colorful tour of ___ Ukraine! Your comments however were the icing on the cake (poppy seed of course)! Wonderfully expressive photos Deb!
Joan Herwig

Post a Comment