Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Please, to the table...

Today's challenge is to quit trying to be so original and recognize the inspiration all around us.  In working so hard to be original, we don't often get our art, our music or writing out there for the world to see.  In reality, so much of the time, we are inspired by those around us....Picasso said "Good artists copy.  Great artists steal."  An idea, a phrase, a picture from someone else can often trigger the creativity within us and get us creating something that is so "us", but began perhaps in the mind of someone else. I'm not talking plagiarism here...just being inspired by other great writers and artists.

Today, I am taking the book title of a cookbook I own so I can share some fun food photos with you from Moldova and Ukraine. Yes, I'm sorry, still not done with this amazing trip. (I had my new camera so I took hundreds of photos...).  But I will recommend this book, although the last time I bought it for a wedding present for a friend, I had to really look for it as it was out of print.  It has many of the recipes of the foods we enjoyed on this trip.


So, ladies, please to the table.....

Moldova presented a variety of delectables for us to feast on, beginning with breakfast...





For those who are granola and cereal lovers, you would have had to adjust your palate to the savories of an Eastern European breakfast.  

Then came lunch on the road - and we traveled many many kilometers throughout Moldova so lunch on the road was often flexible and with friends...




Of course, no matter what or where the meal is eaten you must always finish  with the pièce de résistance




Oh my, the coffee...and these ladies know how to bake!

Ending this culinary tour with dinner(s) in the Ukraine:


When in Kiev, do as the Kievans do...Chicken Kiev

Or if you are fortunate enough to eat in the homes...

Chop, chop...


This went into this...


Which became this...


More chop, chop...



Again, into this...


Final product....a delicious "green Borscht" , a traditional soup of Ukraine



Remember in a previous blog posting when we were in the market and I said we were looking for fish...well, we found it and it was incredible!


It goes without saying, the haute cuisine of Ukraine is a memorable
experience and is a must to try at last once in your life.  Of
course, we are leaving out the vareniki (potato-filled ravioli type dish)
which I had at least four times.  If I had this...


Bulk-style vareniki & pelmeni (meat-filled) ...I would eat it that many times a week here at home!  

And so, in closing, I "borrow" another quote from a book I read, of which I cannot remember the name, or I would give it credit...

"Around here, it almost doesn't matter what's on the table, but it always matters who is in the chairs."  

What was on the table in Ukraine and Moldova was awesome...but it was definitely the friends we shared the meal with that will always remain the best of memories!
  


0 comments:

Post a Comment