Tuesday, June 5, 2012

I Am A Writer

June 5, 2012...the day I am doing something bold.  I am stepping out of my comfort zone...the one I privately live in :)  The one where I can do what I love but don't really want anyone else to "see" it in case it "isn't good enough".  Let me explain by making a declaration...

I am a writer.

That simple.  I am a woman (because I am :)   I am a believer in Jesus Christ...because I am and I do :)  I am a mother.  I am a wife.  I am a friend.  I am a reader.  I am a cook.  I am a walker.  (that word "am" is beginning to look funny to me...misspelled maybe...or I just used it a lot and it now makes my eyes cross...).  All of these declarations are true, because I am all of them.  So, I am a writer, because I am and do.  I love to write.  I love words.  I love languages (I know a smattering of several :).  I love communication and I love to express ideas.  I do it far better in words on paper than I do straight from my mouth.  Am I a writer because I am published?  Am I a writer because thousands of people have read my writings?  Am I a writer because I am well-known?  Am I a writer because hundreds read my blog?  Probably not, because most of my friends don't know how to "subscribe" to a blog....

I am a writer because I love to write.  I started this blog a year or so ago because I wanted to write.  I love to tell stories.  I love to share my faith and what God is doing in my life and around the world because we are involved in missions. I want to share the stories that no one else hears...those we don't hear on the news.   I enjoy sharing stories of the past and the present. I heard a line in a movie awhile ago that expresses how I feel..."If a story is never told, it becomes something else...forgotten."  There are over 30 years of stories tucked away in my heart and mind...I think it is time to tell them.

I am a busy mom, big family and involved in ministry among women, so I don't have a lot of time.  I think now that has been somewhat of an excuse for not keeping up my blog.  Yes, life happens, but if I don't do what I love...what am I doing?  I love my family and the women in my life...but I also love to write.

I came across the writer of the above (15 Habits of Great Writers) a while back.  I read his blog every day.  I am reading his book.  I decided I would participate in this 15-day challenge.  I am going to write.  Every day.  (would someone please keep me accountable to that???)  School is almost out, summer is upon us...and a perfect time for me to relax a bit and challenge myself in an area God has long been prompting me to develop in my life.  Most people have "projects" around the house and yard they set goals for in the summer...this will be mine.  And may the grace of God help me along the way.

So...out of my comfort zone...my declaration for all to see....(my girlfriends would be proud :)   Stories to come.  I still plan to do a blog on "random photos of the Ukraine and Moldova" for you to judge best photo story.  

So...Hello June 5th.....guess what?

I am a writer!!

(photo credit: the writers workshop)

0 comments:

Post a Comment